North Tawton Town Council –
Notice Of Co-option For Two Town Councillors
Closing Date Friday 6 August 2021
North Tawton Town Council (NTTC) currently has three vacancies for the position of Town Councillor – we are now seeking applications for co-option for two of these vacancies, we are waiting to see if anyone wishes to call an election for the third vacancy.
Following the advertisement of a casual vacancy for the statutory notice period, the Returning Officer for West Devon Borough Council has confirmed that the regulation 10 requests from electors have not been fulfilled and NTTC can now fill these two casual vacancies by co-option.
If you are interested in serving as a Town Councillor, please submit your completed Co-option and Eligibility Application Form (available from the website or the Town Clerk) to the Town Clerk with confirmation that you consent for your application form be passed to the Members of North Tawton Town Council.
We can arrange a meeting for applicants with one of the Clerks, to discuss what being a Town Councillor involves, this is an opportunity to find out more and have any queries answered. You can also refer to the attached document ‘What is a Parish Council and why become a Parish Councillor?’
To be able to stand as a Town Councillor, an applicant must:
- be at least 18 years old on the day of application
- be a British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any other member state of the European Union [NB – the relevant legislation has not yet altered further to Brexit, therefore this requirement still stands at present]
- meet at least one of the following four qualifications:
- They are, and will continue to be, registered as a local government elector for the parish from the day of their application onwards.
- They have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the parish during the whole of the 12 months before the day of their application.
- Their main or only place of work during the 12 months prior to the day of their application has been in the parish.
- They have lived in the parish or within three miles of it during the whole of the 12 months before the day of their application.
You must not be disqualified from standing as a Councillor.
Additionally, NTTC request that Candidates should:
- Submit information about themselves, by way of completing a short application form (Appendix A attached below)
- Confirm their eligibility for the position of Councillor within the statutory rules (Appendix B attached below).
- Attend at least one full council meeting prior to submitting an application for co-option. At this time, the most appropriate meeting to attend will be the Council’s Ordinary Meeting on Tuesday 3 August 2021 – please check website and noticeboard for time and venue, which is likely to be North Tawton Bowling Club.
- Co-option applications for this vacancy will be considered at the Ordinary Meeting of the Council on Tuesday 7 September 2021 provided the candidates have complied with NTTC co-option policy available on our website. Full details as to procedure will be sent to all potential applicants.
Queries should be addressed to the Town Clerk or Assistant Clerk by telephone (01837 880121) , email () , or via the online form on the front page of our website – ‘Contact Us’.
Total Attachments: 4